Facebook introduces Facebook Usernames. And, now it’s available for public. Now, we can create a personalized and easier-to-remember web address for our Facebook profile page. For those who like ‘shorter is better’ in URL, this should be interesting. Facebook explains:
Your new Facebook URL is like your personal destination, or home, on the Web. People can enter a Facebook username as a search term on Facebook or a popular search engine like Google, for example, which will make it much easier for people to find friends with common names.
Before choosing a final username, here are few things we might want to know (you can read detailed info on the Help Center), so choose wisely.
- Usernames can only contain alphanumeric characters (A-Z, 0-9) or a period (“.”)
- Usernames must be at least 5 characters long.
- Usernames can not be edited/modified.
- Usernames are not case sensitive.
- Facebook also prevents certain words from being included in usernames. It is not possible to copy a username that someone else has already claimed.
- Usernames are only available for profiles and Pages.
- Only Pages with 1,000 fans as of May 31, 2009 are eligible for usernames.
- Facebook has rights to remove and/or reclaim any username for any reason. :)
If you want more about this new Facebook Usernames, please check Anil’s Exclusive: The Future of Facebook Usernames. Anyway, I’ve created my personalized URL, it’s facebook.com/thomasarie. Of course, it’s easy. Who’s on earth want to choose that name? :D Yours?