Migrating to MT Dynamic Publishing

I am working on the dynamic publishing for this weblog. You will experience broken links, pages not loeaded correctly. First thing I learn: always backup your template/template file before changing the setting into dynamic; or you will have Jupiter falls onto your head — sigh.
Update:
Now, the individual entry pages, monthly archives pages, and category archives pages are using the dynamic publishing. But some items are missing, like the breadcumb and some menus in the sidebar. Why? Like what I have said before, it happened because I did not backup my template file. I use the link to template feature. After changing the setting in the template management — choosing Build Only Archive Templates Dynamically — the templates became so weird. Bad. Bad. Bad.
But, at least I did not found major changes. But it takes time, still.
Okey, what’s the different? The first thing is about the rebuilding time. It is — of course — faster than before. And by this, I can make the modification faster. The next thing is that I save more space, I save more than 10 Mb files. Well, it is not that big, since I do not have million of entries.
You do not need to come to me saying that other blogtools will safe the disk space. I absolutely understand. :) It is not only webspace. More than that. More.
Before, I have tried to make it dynamic; but I always came to this kind of error: Smarty Error: [in mt:16 line:200]. Arvind of Movalog covers this problem by his article: Troubleshooting Smarty Errors. Great thanks, Arvind.
Well, I will play again with this dynamic-thingy. Blog becomes more interesting… :)

2 replies on “Migrating to MT Dynamic Publishing”

  1. If rebuild time is considered to be a wasted time (and cost more), perhaps anything can be prepared first by simulating offline and then let mt_rebuild.pl command line in action. :)
    Surely there is a chance to be failed, but keep your money not to be wasted by dial up connection.

Comments are closed.