Google offers 2GB of storage for Google Drive for those who completes Google’s security checkup process. This offer ends on February 17, 2015. It’s also to celebrate Safer Internet Day. Right now, I have 15 GB of storage for my Google Drive and use around 5 GB of it). There are still plenty of room for my storage, but 2 GB of free upgrade is too good to be skipped.
The security checkup is a simple and straight forward. It’s to make sure that your Google account is safe by doing some checking on these areas:
- Recovery information. Make sure you to have an active phone number and alternative email for account recovery.
- Recent activities. Review the recent login activities using Google account.
- Account permission. Check the services, or apps you give permission to use or connect to Google account.
- App password. You can use specific password for logins. So, using Google, you don’t always supply your primary password. If you’re not sure or find the applications you don’t recognize, remove them.
- 2-step verification. I use this security method. Just make sure to have backup phone number there, including the backup codes.
Even this offer does not apply to Google Apps for Work and Google Apps for Education, but it’s recommended that Google account owners should review the security checkup. After completing the security review checkup, the additional storage will be automatically added at the end of February 2015.