As WordPress users, we can contribute to its development in many ways. But, if you do not involve actively in the development, you can get involved by participating in a survey.
This survey will help WordPress developers to determine which features should be on the top priority for WordPress 2.8 (and/or 2.9 and beyond) . If you’re WordPress users, it’s recommended that you’re using WordPress latest stable release: WordPress 2.7. As a WordPress user, here few things I want to have (not in a particular order)
- Sort by column on list-type screens. It will be useful!
- Bulk edit on other screens. If it’s similar to bulk edit for entries, that would be great.
- Choose number of items to display on list-type screens (20/50/100). When doing a batch edit, I can edit more posts at a time.
- OpenID in core. Even I’m not using it for my blog, I think it will be useful for those who want to have an OpenID-enabled blog.
- Site closed/maintenance mode. When working on the design, or something is broken, I want to have my blog displays a maintenance screen. Just a simple page, but can be handled from the dashboard.
- Improve category management. Mmm… can I have built-in category thumbnail? :D
- User permissions based on categories. Hey, this should be great for blogs with multiple users!
- Bundle DB backup plugin. Backup is important, so I want to have this. Also, some other DB-related management features e.g. to optimize overhead tables?
- Better custom fields management
- Option to delete inactive plugins.
- More built-in plugins for special purposes like videoblogging or podcast. Can we have podcast plugin like Podpress built-in shipped in the core?
- Built-in search and replace for posts. Actually, there is a plugin for this purpose.
- Additional user profile fields.
- More settings managed from dashboard (web-based). For example to disable/enable Post Revisions. So, the wp-config.php should not need to be edited.
I don’t use widget extensively so I’m fine with widget-related features. Oops.. it’s a long list. I know, those list is based on my personal preferences. You can have different wishlist. :)