My favorite forum script (PunBB) released its latest version last week (PunBB 1.2.14). Yes, I use it for my Orangescale Forum,
When I upgraded to the latest version (not only to the latest version), I always checked the latest changes files. Why? Because I made many modifications on the core files. So, as long as the latest files in the distribution do not affect my modifications, I just simply upload the changed files only. And of course, I can just apply the patch.
Upgrading to the latest release was extremely easy.
- Download the files you need.
- You can choose whether you want to download the full package, patch or changed files only. I chose the latest option.
- Backup the database. You can use DB Management plugin for PunBB. Nice plugin!
- If you made changes in you PunBB core files, make a backup. If you are not sure which files you modified, it is time to make that kind of notes. :)
- Extract the compressed file you downloaded. Upload all files under
uploaddirectory to your PunBB installation folder.
- Upload the
extrasfolder. This file should reside in your main PunBB folder.
- Run the upgrade script. Open your browser, point to
xx_to_xxxx_update.php. Even you have uploaded the latest files, you need to do this step too.
- Remove the upgrade script from you webhosting server.
For me, PunBB is a great forum software. Now, if you use PunBB, have you upgraded to the latest version? Note: All plugins work without problems after the upgrade.