WordPress has a big collections of themes. And many of them are free! Isn’t it great? Of course. It is even more interesting because we can change the theme in few seconds.
- Basic themes — This is a standard theme. If you new to WordPress, you will find that the theme files are easy to understand. Learn from this type of themes.
- Advanced themes — If you install this theme, you will have some additional settings for your spesific theme (when it is activated).
- Widget-friendly themes — Using this theme, you can easily modify your theme, and attach some WordPress widgets
As I said before, installing WordPress theme is very easy. The first thing to do is downloading the theme. For example, if you want to use Laila Theme for WordPress (demo page). You will have a file called
laila-2.1.zip. What’s next?
- You need to extract the file using a software like WinZip or WinRAR
- You will have a directory called
- Upload the directory (and all files under it) into your
wp-content/themesfolder. So, your directory structure will be something like:
- In your WordPress admin area page, go to “Presentation” menu, and you will see the theme screenshot there. Click the image to activate.
If you’re using free WordPress themes (downloadable theme), you should checked whether the theme is compatible with the WordPress version you’re using or not. Also, make sure that your WordPress installation meet all the theme requirements e.g. plugins, settings, etc.