When Budi Putra visited Jogjakarta last weekend, I was involved in a discussion about a video provider called blip.tv. I’m using it now effectively for my videoblog. We learned about the service, features, and other aspects that we need to know. It was because we wanted to find the video hosting provider that really meet our need. So far, blip.tv works great on my videoblog.
Here are what we found. If you need video hosting provider, and you consider blip.tv, you might want to know these things:
- blip.tv offers two types of account: free and pro accounts. The pro account offers many additional features like priority transcode access, transcode to iPod and MP3 formats, longer transcode times, hidden videos, and also timed publishing.
It costs $8/month. If we purchase annually, we will get two extra months for free. blip.tv only accepts Paypal right now.
- If we do not want to continue our pro account subscription, some pro features will be removed and all hidden videos will be visible.
- There are no video upload limits per day, or weeks. The maximum video size is 1 GB per file.
- To upload videos, we can use some alternatives: using web-based uploader, cell phone, FTP or desktop software.
- The desktop uploader is called UpperBlip. It is compatible with many operating systems.
- By default, our “Show Page” is generated from our username. So, it will be something like this: username.blip.tv. We can have different address for show page URL. Username does not have to be the same with the show page. Show page address can be changed, but not the username. You have to contact blip.tv for this.
- blip.tv offers an advertisement program. This is an optional feature. If you don’t want to see any advertisement in your uploaded videos, you can simply disable them from the dashboard.
- blip.tv shares 50% of the adjusted gross advertising revenues that are actually received by Blip.tv and generated by user content with the user who uploaded the content. (source)
- We can customize the video player. If you want to embed the videos to different sites, we can have a preset to produce desired embed code.
- Many ways to distribute the videos e.g. automatic notification post to Twitter, Facebook, delicious, etc.